What are the Psychology Services?
Psychology is the study of the human mind and its effect on behavior.
Psychology services are a set of protocols that evaluate, treat and resolve mental illness, abnormal behavior, emotional disturbance and psychosocial difficulties.
Why are Psychology Services Needed?
Psychology services are necessary to treat complex issues such as:
- Confusion, anxiety, stress, depression
- Phobias, grief, loss, panic, personal illness
- Self-esteem, anger and irritability
- Identity or gender concerns
- Cognitive, sleep and mood disorders
- Eating, adjustment and impulse control disorders
- Personality or developmental disorders
What do Psychology Services Involve?
Psychology services include all aspects of the human experience, from brain functions to social actions and from child development to care for the aged.
Typically, a psychology service may involve the following stages.
- Evaluation of psychological issues
- Clinical interviews (questionnaires)
- Direct examinations or observations
- Psychological diagnosis or testing
- Therapy and counseling or advice
Psychology Services Offered
There are different types of psychology services that serve different purposes. They include but are not limited to:
- Individual or group psychotherapy: Helps the individual or group identify and explore mind or behavioral problems and develop strategies for overcoming them.
- Family therapy: Working with the family and meeting the various members of the family together to recommend solutions for psychological problems.
- Couples therapy: Deals with couples who have relationship problems and addresses the problems within the context of the relationship.
- Behavioral therapy: Focuses on learning and behavior to change unhealthy behavioral patterns through a system of reward and punishment.
- Cognitive therapy: Emphasizes on the thoughts of an individual, helps recognize unhealthy thinking patterns and change wrong beliefs.
- Holistic or integrative therapy: Integrates multiple approaches depending on the needs of an individual and focuses on both thought and behavior.
- Psychological testing: It can be a sole service or a part of mental assessment and diagnosis service and includes treatment as well.
- Stress management: Involves a variety of techniques including relaxation skills and psychotherapy but does not include medications as part of the service.
Generally, psychology services are likely to be followed by counseling taking into consideration an individual’s unique makeup including:
- Cognitive ability
- Cultural identities
- Current presentation
Benefits of Psychology Services
Following are the potential benefits of psychology services:
- Ease and manage mental distress
- Mitigate or eliminate behavioral issues
- Strengthen emotional resilience
- Improve communication and leadership skills
- Motivate and help become more productive
- Boost memory and enhance the quality of life
- Improve mental, and in turn, physical wellbeing
- Ensure positive changes in life